Night Time Photography


On Thursday I stayed up late to try my hand a shooting some night shots. In particular, I was interested in trying to capture Star Trails, an effect that I had seen on the Internet.

The awesome effect is created by leaving the shutter open for a long period from a few minutes to a few hours capturing the movement of the stars as they travel across the night sky. An excellent example is this shot created by Josch Hambsch.

After attempting for a while and not succeeding, I decided that there was too much light from the moon so I would have to wait for a moonless night.


Instead I turned my attention to the moon (that little attention seeker) and got these two shots that I'm pretty happy with.


Not a wasted night after all :)

2 comments:

  1. These are great - the moon is fantastic! What size lens did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lutsy.

    The moon shot was taken with a 75mm - 300mm lens. I've cropped the photo so that it's just around the moon.

    ReplyDelete